Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Islam

I know why the word Islam is derived from a word meaning peace. When I was very first getting to know Islam and reading the Qur'an, there was an inner peace that is utterly indescribable. I was happy, peaceful, at ease, calm. It was a beautiful state I was in.

Currently, my significant other ("SO") is reading the Qur'an for the first time and getting to know Islam. He is describing to me the exact feeling that I felt when I was getting to know Islam. This is completely on his own and I in no way influenced him to do this. He's a grown man; he make his own decisions. We have, though, had discussions about the future of our relationship.

To my understanding (and I have verified it with a couple of Christians), Christians believe the only way to Heaven is through accepting Jesus as your personal savior. This is not my belief. I told my SO that I could not see myself spending my life with someone who believe I would burn in Hell in my afterlife. He told me that he does not believe I am going to Hell. So he is now doing some soul-searching and spiritual consideration.

My question to you: Do you think inter-faith relationships can be successful among people of Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam)? If so, how? If not, why not?

4 comments:

  1. Honey, who ever told you that about Christians and heaven and hell.. I think they must be confused. A person isn't a christian unless he/she accepts Jesus as his personal savior. Must have been one of those overzealous christian people because the acceptance of the savior is not what guarantees you a spot in heaven! It does require some work.. but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Who knew! I'm sure this person was just confused because I'm Mormon, and we are very Christ centered so I should know.. I think! :) WOW! I can't believe someone told you that.. It's absurd! Oh my... but to answer your question.. Yes, I believe that religion is very important in a relationship but it's not exactly a deal breaker.. NO. My husband is a self proclaimed baptist and I'm Mormon. To tell you the truth, our beliefs are actually the same. We believe in the Father, the sun and the holy ghost as well as so much more and if anyone should know, then I would have to say it's my friend, you may know her as Modest Destiny but her husband is Christian. He's actually very supportive of her despite his faith and I know she's mentioned this in some of her posts but that's her question to answer.. not mine. I'm so sorry about who ever told you that... shame on them but it could just be that they were deeply confused.. Much luck to you Persia.. I hope you find some peace in this relationship. It's not impossible.. just have faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, that is very good information. Thank you for all of it! Believe it or not, my mother is one that told me the only people who go to Heaven are those who accept Jesus as their personal savior. And as Jesus is an incredibly important prophet to me, I don't see him as my savior, ya know? So I was told because of that, I will be going to Hell. :-( I'm glad I got to hear your thoughts on this! Thank you very much, again. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you're mother told you that. I mean, we are children of God first and foremost. It is important to believe in Jesus but many many people believe that you can't get to God unless you go through the son.. even during prayer. I accept him as my savior but I know I don't have to go straight through Jesus to get to God. Many are confused by that.. Take care Persia! Let us know how it all goes.. I hope you're happy and may you be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P I am a Christian and I do know and believe that Jesus Christ is my link to heaven. I am a new to my new found level of faith but I agree with your mom. Yet we all have our own beliefs. But to be honest as I grow in my faith I think the number one base in a relationship should be faith. I wish you all the best in figuring it all out.

    ReplyDelete

Quranists Network
.