Sunday, August 7, 2011

Parental Guidance

I was talking with my dad this morning, one subject being, of course, religion, among other things. Apparently, everyone is going to my parents, asking them their thoughts on me "studying Islam."  A good point my dad brought up was that I need to see both sides: the religious and the anti-religious. He's right. 


My dad was raised Muslim (from what I'm told), and he is now atheist. Whenever religion is brought up between him & I in any way, he is always saying something negative about it overall or its followers. He's always saying that religion causes all of these wars, conflicts, etc. The thing is. . . without religion, there would not be LESS killing/wars/conflicts, not at all. Humans create in- and out-groups to separate themselves from others, whether it be with race, language, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, region, STATE, CITY, affiliation of any kind (religious, political, gang, etc). 


Personally, I think that religion does more good than bad. Religion can inspires you to live a wholesome, disciplined, GOOD life. In a religion like Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, or Islam, does it every say in the scriptures to do something horrible to others or influence followers to live lives that are corrupt? No, never! It does not! Does it outline how to live a happy, peaceful life? The Qur'an gives guidance like, "Be good to parents, relatives, orphans, and the needy. Speak kindly and pay the poor-due," (2:83), "Kill not one another," (4:29), "Whoever participates in a good cause, will be rewarded. Whoever participates in an evil cause, will bear the consequences thereof," (4:85), "O people of the Book, do not be fanatical in your faith," (4:171) "Be kind and forgiving toward others," (7:199).


Confused or ignorant people tend to blame religion for all these atrocities, but it's not religion: it's people. Those SAME people who kill in the name of God would STILL BE KILLING PEOPLE without religion. What, do people think that those same killers would be peaceful, frolicking people without religion? If so, that is so sad. In the Qur'an, Allah says "Whoever kills a human being, it is as if he had killed all mankind. Whoever saves the life of one, it is as if he had saved the life of all" (5:32). 


Also, why are others so concerned about the beliefs of others if the belief does not interfere in any negative way? My father's non-belief does not affect me in ANY way. My beliefs should not upset ANYONE else either. I do not try to convert people and I don't judge others. Allah is the only judge, so why should anyone feel the need to take on that heavy responsibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quranists Network
.